Any Fellow Nature Lovers Here?

About the Challenge Forums Mail Talk 2018 Any Fellow Nature Lovers Here?

This topic contains 11 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  MizLit 9 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

Anonymous

Anyone else a keen bird watcher or just enjoy being outdoors and watching the seasons go by…seeing the wild flowers blooming…the bees and butterflies going about their business?

I’ve been mad about wildlife and nature since I could walk and even now, 49 years later, it shows no signs of waning. I like to observe the little changes day by day and week by week and note them in a journal and on my blog which I’ve just started (after months of procrastinating!). All the gardening I do is for the benefit of wildlife as I enjoy seeing the bees, butterflies and other insects busying themselves at the flowers and I have a few projects in mind for this coming Spring and Summer which include building a pond, creating a meadow area, putting up bird & bee (and other insect!) boxes, planting more nectar rich shrubs and flowers and just generally gardening FOR wildlife. I also have a Yearly ‘Bucket List’ (if a yearly one can be called such a thing….perhaps targets or projects would be a better phrasing) in which I list 25 – 30 things I would like to do in the coming 12 months. This years include such things as setting up an aquarium to study the breeding behaviour of Three-spined Stickleback fish, finding a Bee Orchid, seeing my first Ring Ouzel, visiting five new nature reserves….stuff like that to add a bit of spice to my day to day routine.

So if there’s anyone who would like to chat away about nature then PLEASE…..drop me a line!!! I’ve always loved to read the correspondence between the great naturalists and explorers of the past and thought it a great shame that for the most part it has now been replaced by email and the like.

Cooksterz
    Keymaster

Yes i think it is where I would rather be! Centers me and settles the mind!
    I also enjoy hearing my penpals, talk about their great journeys, and treks and destinations too!! I like hearing it in a letter, because you imagine it your own way first!

I was just making a post about cursive and was looking thru my images, from Aug, and found this quote i wrote out, Its appropriate for both Topics here in Mail Talk! -Cooksterz
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1boZOWNUlJi9ZZB4NYjDaQnA6ctFgVLBd

"Get your Hand OFF that mouse, and write a letter!" But then use to see the lettermo hashtag on instagram: #lettermo on Instagram: instagram.com/explore/tags/lettermo/

Mia
    Participant

I guess I will be sending you a letter at some point Gillian!

Snail Mail addict.

Anonymous

I’m an avid hiker, and I’ve loved the outdoors since my mother started dragging me (at first) and eventually taking me on my begging (by later) to parks, state parks, national parks, woods, conservation areas, and wherever I could spend time around trees, rocks, shrubs, flowers, and water. I’ve gone camping at the same state park every year for 20 years (a family tradition), and when I moved from the East Coast to the desert Southwest about 4.5 years ago, I took up hiking. I’m now an avid hiker and mountaineer, a peak-bagger and someone who lives for the wonder of getting outdoors and away from human development, and seeing the beauty and awe-inspiring wonder of the natural world.

I guess I’m more of an explorer, but I still share the same awe, wonderment, and reverence for nature that others do. I know I deeply love nature – and even more than love it, I need it. I’m an incomplete, sad, and ill individual without my regular dosage of wilderness.

“Wilderness is a necessity … They will see what I meant in time. There must be places for human beings to satisfy their souls. Food and drink is not all. There is the spiritual. In some it is only a germ, of course, but the germ will grow.” – John Muir

“The more civilized man becomes, the more he needs and craves a great background of forest wildness, to which he may return like a contrite prodigal from the husks of an artificial life.” – Ellen Burns Sherman

Terry Duprie
    Participant

Yes, yes, yes! I would much rather be outdoors enjoying Mother Nature. Would love to write to fellow nature lovers!

"yes, there are two paths you can go by, but in the long run... there's still time to change the road you're on..." ~ Led Zeppelin

Jean
    Participant

I love being outdoors keeping tabs on the local birds. I’d love to write to other nature lovers!

riftvegan
    Participant

Dear Gillian and all,
    I have been a enthusiast for this thread every year! Thank you for starting it again, Gill.

I won’t be able to send my photography postcards to everyone who replies at this thread, this year like I usually do. But some store-bought nature postcards will be going out!

Happy Day,
    rift

Emily
    Participant

Hi All,

If you check my profile, you’ll see I’m a librarian looking to swap book suggestions, but I’m also a nature lover and would be happy to jump in with you guys too. If you like books and birds, all the better! Anyone doing the Great Backyard Bird Count later this month? I’m eager to get out this weekend. The past two years I found snowdrops and aconite blooming about this time, but I’m guessing there may be a delay since this year’s been colder in Ohio. The snowdrops in my yard are just showing their tips. Anyway… if you’d like to write, I’d love to hear from you!

Emily

Anonymous

We are just starting to get Snowdrops appearing here in northern England Emily ~ I saw my first on Saturday 27th January. The Winter Aconites are just beginning to appear too and I saw a handful of their gorgeous yellow flowers in a regular spot on Thursday 1st February.

It’ll be spring before we know it!

Emily
    Participant

Gillian – So neat to hear that you’ve got an eye out for the same blooms in England! I did spot a few fully open snowdrops on Saturday, but most were still just tips popping out of the ground. The aconite seems seems to be progressing slower, which is odd since they usually sync. I did fine one very tiny blossom that was just starting to open. The Lenten rose are starting to get some new growth as well.

Shiiallah
    Participant

Huh. I don’t know what happened, but apparently my old account got completely wiped out. I was the one who posted the “I’m an avid hiker…” post. =/

MizLit
      Keymaster

Ugh, I am so sorry that happened, @Jessica. At least the thread is here, so perhaps that will help rebuild your friends list?

"Save what you love."

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

In February, mail one item through the post every day it runs. #lettermo Sign up to find Lettermo Penpals!

Skip to toolbar