L.W.A. and its going slow

About the Challenge Forums Month of Letters 2017 L.W.A. and its going slow

Tagged: 

This topic contains 23 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Melissa Krueger Melissa Krueger 6 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Cyndi
    Cyndi
    Participant

today I am working on new letters I have only done a few replies from the letters I have received already. I haven’t received a new letter in almost a week now.

is anyone a member of L.W.A. and participate in the initiative responses? if so which ones and what have you mailed out from them?

cyndi

Profile photo of Oriole Harris
    Oriole Harris
    Participant

I’m a member, but that is a slow process. I have only one pen pal from them. I like the concept but not sure how it really works. The first address they gave me never wrote back, the one I have now did, but I don’t think we are a great match.
    We do exchange letters about 4 times a year, but other than our age our likes are very different. I get that old people don’t want to write younger people thinking that they don’t have much in common but I don’t think they check much more than age.

Oriole Harris
    www.postable.com/orioleadamsharris

Profile photo of Sharon Bowman
    Sharon Bowman
    Participant

I received two pen pals from the Alliance, one domestic and one international (NZ). Both write somewhat regularly, probably about equal amounts, which is surprising since it takes forever to get mail back and forth to NeW Zealand.

I haven’t done anything else with the Alliance. My other pen pals have come from Fountain Pen Network.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

I joined L.W.A. a couple of years ago and wrote my two letters but never got a reply from anyone. I did receive one letter and I replied but they never replied back. My other pen pals have come from International Pen Friends. They have a person in most countries http://members.ozemail.com.au/~penpals/ from whom you can request a list from. Just fill out the application form, pay the money and you receive your list. It’s completely offline which means your information is safe.

Profile photo of Cyndi
    Cyndi
    Participant

you can always go back and request new pen pals just have your member number on you. check out the initiative responses on the members only shop once completed you get a patch in return there are several of them.

Profile photo of TracyG
    TracyG
    Participant

I haven’t taken part in the Initiative Response but I just checked it out and it looks interesting. Which responses are you taking part in Cyndi? Fun to earn the badges.

Profile photo of Kiowa
    Kiowa
    Participant

I am a member in the LWA and found two pals there. The process was okay and in two-three weeks I got a replay. I thinks that´s okay. I really like the idea of the LWA because real letters are my big passion.

Profile photo of Lisa Carter
    Lisa Carter
    Participant

I’m also a LWA member. I haven’t received a penpal yet. I joined about a month ago.

Profile photo of Lana Hayes
    Lana Hayes
    Participant

(raising hand) LWA member also! I probably should contact them for another pen friend. The two I had initially sort of faded away.

Oriole Harris
    Participant

you can always go back and request new pen pals just have your member number on you. check out the initiative responses on the members only shop once completed you get a patch in return there are several of them.

I would say I got the majority of my pen friends from Pen Pal World. It is fun like this and you can choose and read bios before committing. You can also pick an age range and if you want male or female. I don’t accept male requests though. I find they get a lot of single men trying to find a sugar baby.

Oriole Harris

Profile photo of Carrye
    Carrye
    Participant

I’m also an LWA member and have been for a few years, but this was the first year that I have requested a penpal. One from Germany who wrote first and I am replying today. My domestic match is potentially a good one, but it’s been over a week since I posted and I have not heard back.

I wonder if LWA wants to know if members do not reply?

I have the Typewriter challenge, but am still in the middle of that quest — mostly because I am lazy and need a new typewriter ribbon.

I’ve received two pals from Wonder Pens match. Both have written lovely letters.

SendSomething.Net also has profiles that are searchable. I’ve received really fun and thoughtful post cards from those folks. I think there are some folks who are very dedicated letter writers, and others who just look for fun things to send the right people.

www.postable.com/mizlit / Postcardly referral: https://postcardly.com/ref/0polzmqh /Patreon Member/SendSomething.Net
    InCoWriMo 2017 Participant https://incowrimo-2017.org/ Letter Writers Alliance Member

Profile photo of Jenny Ray
    Jenny Ray
    Participant

I’m a member of LWA, but have not done any of the initiatives. I love the shop though. The silly calling cards are great!

Find me on Postable: https://www.postable.com/jennyray

Oriole Harris
    Participant

Glad you had such a good experience on SendSometing, I really didn’t. I sent letters, notes which were never really acknowledged. I also got the feeling that people want gifts or postcards. Neither of which I do.

Oriole Harris

Profile photo of Carrye
    Carrye
    Participant

Yes. It may be that SendSomething is more like an informal Post Crossing. I didn’t get the impression that gifts were wanted, though.

I tried doing Pocket Letter swamps, but oh my goodness! Those took a lot of time! And were heavier on the creative side than on the letter side — not really my thing, either.

www.postable.com/mizlit / Postcardly referral: https://postcardly.com/ref/0polzmqh /Patreon Member/SendSomething.Net
    InCoWriMo 2017 Participant https://incowrimo-2017.org/ Letter Writers Alliance Member

Profile photo of Lisa Carter
    Lisa Carter
    Participant

I appreciate that a few of you are sharing some sites that I hadn’t heard of and your experiences, that is very interesting. Perhaps I might check out some of those sites, and some I may avoid!
    Also just an update: I got an email from LWA with a penpal and immediately drafted a letter and got it out. The email from LWA also indicated that there is a second penpal, whose information I wouldn’t be given, would be writing an initial letter to me.
    It’s all very interesting. The person that I do have information about, on the surface with the few details that I have at this point, seems to have very little in common with me – cats 🙂 lol perhaps more will unfold as we write back and forth. Of course, I can write and request more penpals from LWA at anytime, as many of you know.
    I love the LWA shop! It’s quite pricey, though!

Profile photo of Sharon
    Sharon
    Participant

I’m an LWA member as well. I mainly joined for the shop, they have some really fun items.

Profile photo of Sarah
    Sarah
    Participant

I joined the LWA last year but hadn’t really made use of the membership until recently. My first penpal match is *really* good. I had to write to her first and have just had a reply – our interests overlap well but there’s enough different to keep things interesting.

The second I’ve heard from but not had a chance to reply to. On the face of it we have less in common but she’s still an interesting person so it will be good to see how things pan out.

I’ve not had much success with sendsomething. I’ve done a couple of swaps, received a postcard or two and sent a couple of ROAKs in an attempt to de-stash. I may still persist but I’m not sure for how much longer.

I write year-round!

Also available on sendsomething.net; swapbot (scary bobbins), instagram (@scary_bobbins); Ravelry (orangegreen)

Profile photo of Mia
    Mia
    Participant

I’m a LWA member too but haven’t used their penpal match service. If I want new penpals in February, there’s here and the other similar projects (one I’m doing is incowrimo-2017.org and will pull name/address out of the hat. Outside of February, there’s SendSomething (many people there are also here), and penpal threads on other fora, rather than Interpals (may not have been bad in the beginning – it did introduce me to Postcrossing) and other penpalling profile/advert sites.

Profile photo of Sara Glassman
    Sara Glassman
    Participant

I’m a member as well, but I never requested a pen pal match. I do enjoy the book club and the virtual socials when I can catch them.
    I have some of the initiative packets coming. I’m looking forward to them.

Sara Glassman - * Postable: www.postable.com/saraglassman * website: www.medusaslibrary.com

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

One of my first LWA penpals from Canada has become a good friend over the years, we follow each other on Instagram now and occasionally still write. Others didn’t work out, but that’s ok.
    LWA has socials here in Chicago and I’ve made two pen pal/ friends going to those too! They’re great.

Sendsomething is fun for the random addresses, I’ve had only good experiences with that for several years now.

I think a lettermo participant told me about The Letter Exchange (LEX) last year and I love it now! They’re great about privacy and fun exchanges, but you do have to pay for it.

Profile photo of Amy Patton
    Amy Patton
    Participant

I second what Olivia says above about LEX, The Letter Exchange, http://www.letter-exchange.com. I have collected pen pals from a variety of sources (postcrossing, lettermo, LWA), but the pen pals I met through LEX have been the ones that write most regularly. If you’re interested in LEX, I recommend buying one magazine of LEX , for only $9, to try it out before deciding to subscribe.

As for LWA, I enjoy their free stationery downloads, blog and book club.

Profile photo of Natalie Morrow
    Natalie Morrow
    Participant

Has anyone tried swap bot if so is it any good

Profile photo of Mia
    Mia
    Participant

Partial success with swap-bot – I still have 2? penfriends from there, but then of course, not all correspondence will be successful in the long term. However, I did receive my most boring letter of recent years from there – exactly what was written in the sender’s profile (you do know who you are getting a letter/something from) and no acknowledgement of what I had actually written on my profile (e.g. how did you get into a particular hobby? how long have you been doing it? etc), nothing I could directly respond to. The sort of thing someone says and all you can think of in response is, either, “so” or “whatever”… I did try to respond (I did of course register the letter as received in the swap) but writer’s block definitely hit hard.

Profile photo of Melissa Krueger
    Melissa Krueger
    Participant

I’m a member of LWA. I joined mostly for the shop. I requested and wrote to two people, exchanged a couple letters, and then never heard from them again. But then again, I’ve been quite slow to respond due to life… so it’s likely my fault.

I haven’t done any of the initiatives… perhaps one day, but I’m a bit confused as to exactly what they are, honestly.

I’ve found most of my penpals through the League of Extraordinary Penpals and Fountain Pen Geeks (FPGeeks) via InCoWriMo writing.

I was a member of LEX for a while, too – but never received a single response to a letter I sent there. 🙁

Postable: http://www.postable.com/melissakrueger ** Blog: http://www.measi.net/measiblog/

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.