Noodler's Ink & More: What are your favorites?

About the Challenge Forums Month of Letters 2016 Noodler's Ink & More: What are your favorites?

Tagged: 

This topic contains 27 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of  Anonymous 1 year, 7 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Fresh ink is intoxicating. What are your favorites? (any and all brands)

Profile photo of Mia
    Mia
    Participant

I love Diamine inks. So many inks, so many choices, but favourites depend on mood.

Profile photo of Christine
    Christine
    Participant

I have a few Noodler’s inks. My current favourite is Bad Belted Kingfisher. I also really like Montblanc inks (Lavendar Purple) and J. Herbin (Poussiere de Lune). Those are the two that are in pens that I’m using a bit more lately. I’ve also got three more pens that were filled recently, one with Waterman Havana Brown, one with Diamine Vivaldi, and lastly, one with J. Herbin (Larmes de Cassis).

The Diamond Music Collection set is a bit muted for me but I am now starting to use them.

Which ink I like is very much influenced by the pen that I use with it.

I have three new bottles ordered and on the way. All are new brands to me so I’m looking forward to them. On way, I’ve got:
    Eldestein Amethyst
    Graf von Faber-Castelle in Hazelnut Brown
    and
    Iroshosuku in Bamboo Forest (Chiku-Rin)

🙂

Profile photo of Janet
    Janet
    Participant

My favorites are;
    Diamine Wild Strawberry, Ancient Copper
    Rohrer and Klingner Alt Goldgrün
    Platinum Carbon Black

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

My favorites are;
    Diamine Wild Strawberry, Ancient Copper
    Rohrer and Klingner Alt Goldgrün
    Platinum Carbon Black

Love the names. I have some Rohrer ink on order; did ya happen to notice that I have the same last name as this ink purveyor? I do not yet know if we’re related, but one of my letters this month will be an inquiry. 🙂

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

I have a few Noodler’s inks. My current favourite is Bad Belted Kingfisher. I also really like Montblanc inks (Lavendar Purple) and J. Herbin (Poussiere de Lune). Those are the two that are in pens that I’m using a bit more lately. I’ve also got three more pens that were filled recently, one with Waterman Havana Brown, one with Diamine Vivaldi, and lastly, one with J. Herbin (Larmes de Cassis).

The Diamond Music Collection set is a bit muted for me but I am now starting to use them.

I have three new bottles ordered and on the way. All are new brands to me so I’m looking forward to them. On way, I’ve got:
    Eldestein Amethyst
    and

:)

WOW. Looking forward to your reviews of those three new inks!

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

I love Diamine inks. So many inks, so many choices, but favourites depend on mood.

Ink is addicting. 🙂

Profile photo of Pat Hayes
    Pat Hayes
    Participant

I have several inks, mostly Noodler’s and Rohrer & Klingner. Oh, to be honest, all but one of my bottles of ink is from one of those two companies. I think I buy pens just to have an excuse to buy more inks. My favorite, the ink I use in more pens than any other is Rohrer & Klingner Cassia. Oddly, as a rule I don’t like purple, but I fell in love with this purple ink from my first sample. I still write with other colors, and I have to admit that I am a sucker for Noonler’s Ink names. My latest is Black Swan in English Roses.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

I have several inks, mostly Noodler’s and Rohrer & Klingner. Oh, to be honest, all but one of my bottles of ink is from one of those two companies. I think I buy pens just to have an excuse to buy more inks. My favorite, the ink I use in more pens than any other is Rohrer & Klingner Cassia. Oddly, as a rule I don’t like purple, but I fell in love with this purple ink from my first sample. I still write with other colors, and I have to admit that I am a sucker for Noonler’s Ink names. My latest is Black Swan in English Roses.

Yes, Noodler’s Ink names are wonderful! I’m waiting on delivery of Dragon’s Napalm Red and also Alt-Goldgrun from Rohrer & Klingner. I really, really want that Black Swan in English Roses!

Profile photo of Melissa Krueger
    Melissa Krueger
    Participant

My go-tos right now are:

Diamine Autumn Oak & Ancient Copper
    Noodler’s Apache Sunset
    J. Herbin’s 1670 Enerald of Chivor
    Iroshizuku Tsuki-yo

I really want to pick up a bottle of Yama-Budo form Iro. It’s just beautiful. (I have other bottles, but I keep leaning on these right now).

Postable: http://www.postable.com/melissakrueger ** Blog: http://www.measi.net/measiblog/

Christine
      Participant

Love the Apache Sunset, though I haven’t used it a while it is very interesting. The other really nice one that is similar is Private Reserve Shoreline Gold. Very nice! I have a yellow Lamy with a 1.1 point nib that I’ve used with this ink. Very fitting!
      😉

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Eldestein Amethyst
    and

:)

Amethyst. Hazelnut Brown. Bamboo Forest. LOVE. Looking forward to your reviews. 🙂

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

My go-tos right now are:

Diamine Autumn Oak & Ancient Copper
    Noodler’s Apache Sunset
    J. Herbin’s 1670 Enerald of Chivor
    Iroshizuku Tsuki-yo

I really want to pick up a bottle of Yama-Budo form Iro. It’s just beautiful. (I have other bottles, but I keep leaning on these right now).

Ancient Copper sounds GORGEOUS. Just ordered Apache Sunset 🙂 Hope I don’t get the plastic bottle …..

Christine
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Pat Hayes wrote:</div>

Yes, Noodler’s Ink names are wonderful! I’m waiting on delivery of Dragon’s Napalm Red and also Alt-Goldgrun from Rohrer & Klingner. I really, really want that Black Swan in English Roses!

I have some of the Black Swan in English Roses. It’s also another really nice colour, though I haven’t been using it in a while. The Dragon’s Napalm left me wanting but I think I have problems with red ink because it’s red. 🙂

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Barbara Rohrer wrote:</div>

I have some of the Black Swan in English Roses. It’s also another really nice colour, though I haven’t been using it in a while. The Dragon’s Napalm left me wanting but I think I have problems with red ink because it’s red. :)

I was terribly tempted to order Black Swan in English Roses, but then I found (quite by accident) two bottles of Noodler’s Ink Nightshade priced at $2.97 each (“add-on” deals through Amazon Prime). Bazinga!

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Love the Apache Sunset, though I haven’t used it a while it is very interesting. The other really nice one that is similar is Private Reserve Shoreline Gold. Very nice! I have a yellow Lamy with a 1.1 point nib that I’ve used with this ink. Very fitting!
    ?

My first bottle of Apache Sunset arrives tomorrow. 🙂
    I’m bribing myself with pretty ink as encouragement to re-learn the art of using fountain pens; maintaining even pressure is very difficult for me (old injuries + arthritis), so this will be a long and splotchy process.

Profile photo of Pat Hayes
    Pat Hayes
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Barbara Rohrer wrote:</div>

I have some of the Black Swan in English Roses. It’s also another really nice colour, though I haven’t been using it in a while. The Dragon’s Napalm left me wanting but I think I have problems with red ink because it’s red. :)

Two things I have leaned about Black Swan in English Roses.

1) It really does look better when used in a Noodler’s pen. Somehow, you see more of the Black Swan.

2) On the pink paper I use, it doesn’t look too red. I imagine that’s different on white paper. I recommend experimenting.

Profile photo of EAJ3
    EAJ3
    Participant

I second the love for Diamine Ancient Copper; I bought the small bottle, but at the rate I’m going I’ll be purchasing the larger size before long (in ink-usage terms). I’ve also been using DeAtramentis Jane Austen often this MoL. I ordered it when it was on sale even though I thought it was kind of a meh green, because Jane Austen, but I find that it matches or coordinates well with colors in a surprising number of the notecards I have on hand, and it’s been growing on me with each card or letter I write.

My usual black is Noodler’s The Heart of Darkness (the large eye-dropper bottle’s included free pen was my introduction to the Platinum Preppy), and I also use Platinum Carbon Black — the desk pen is great for sketching. I too love Black Swan in English Roses, though I wish it dried a bit faster. For my blue I’ve been using Noodler’s Kung Te-Cheng.

Last year my favorites were the Noodler’s mentioned above, Diamine Merlot, and DeAtramentis Aubergine, which I can’t stop myself from pronouncing Auberzheeeeeeeeeen.

One thing that makes me sad is that my natural handwriting is quite small, so I don’t get the full benefit of the beautiful shading many of my favorite colors display.

Profile photo of Melissa Krueger
    Melissa Krueger
    Participant

?

Also a very pretty color, and I have a bottle of that. I did a Goulet sample of it and loved the color… haven’t cracked open the bottle yet due to ooh…shiny! distraction with that J.Herbin ink. 🙂

Autumn Oak is also similar, but a bit darker in hue… where Apache goes yellow to orange, Autumn goes orange to browns.

If you’re looking for a brilliant turquoise blue – Private Reserve’s Naples Blue. Do it. Just… don’t argue. 🙂

Postable: http://www.postable.com/melissakrueger ** Blog: http://www.measi.net/measiblog/

Profile photo of Valerie S Kelley
    Valerie S Kelley
    Participant

I got a bottle of Iroshizuku Yu-Yake last Friday and it has become my favorite ink for my daily writer-a Baoer 517 in dark orange with black tiger stripes-this combo just makes me smile.

Profile photo of Byron
    Byron
    Participant

Of the Noodler’s, Ottoman Rose is a favorite of mine. Also Liberty’s Elysium, which is exclusive to Goulet.

Other inks: I’m fond of Iroshizuku Asa-gao, and I recently rediscovered Pelikan 4001 Blau-Schwarz, which I used quite a bit when I was in school. (Came across some at the L.A. Pen Show and bought a bottle.)

Profile photo of David
    David
    Participant

Oh man, this is no easy question! It depends on what I’m writing, the paper I’m using, and that silly thing the pen. Seems the pen/ink combo is important the more I write!

So my top picks?
    J. Herbin 1670, in Grey & Red… contains gold dust. Great with my TWSBI 580 Diamond, 1.1 stub nib
    Noodler: Apache Sunset, Le Couleur Royale, Bad Belted Kingfisher (really cool blue)
    Diamine: would have to be Ancient Copper & Autumn Oak

Dang… SO many

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Oh man, this is no easy question! It depends on what I’m writing, the paper I’m using, and that silly thing the pen. Seems the pen/ink combo is important the more I write!

So my top picks?
    J. Herbin 1670, in Grey & Red… contains gold dust. Great with my TWSBI 580 Diamond, 1.1 stub nib
    Noodler: Apache Sunset, Le Couleur Royale, Bad Belted Kingfisher (really cool blue)
    Diamine: would have to be Ancient Copper & Autumn Oak

Dang… SO many

You nailed it: The combination of pen and ink is rapidly becoming clear to me as I revive my fountain pen skills.
    I’m starting out with Noodler’s Flex Nib piston fill pen — first two inks were Noodler’s Dragon Napalm and Nightshade. They do so well on cotton rag paper and other dense stationery! Apache Sunset seems to want a medium nib? I’m oogling Bad Belted Kingfisher.
    Splurged on bottles of Alt-Goldgrun (Rohrer & Klinger) and J. Herbin 1670 Stormy Grey. OH MY 🙂 Gold flecks in anthracite — stroke of brilliance (wink).
    That Ancient Copper sounds beautiful.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Of the Noodler’s, Ottoman Rose is a favorite of mine. Also Liberty’s Elysium, which is exclusive to Goulet.

Other inks: I’m fond of Iroshizuku Asa-gao, and I recently rediscovered Pelikan 4001 Blau-Schwarz, which I used quite a bit when I was in school. (Came across some at the L.A. Pen Show and bought a bottle.)

Ottoman Rose ………… sigh. It just sounds so lovely.
    Your ink stand sounds like an experienced scribe’s collection!

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

I got a bottle of Iroshizuku Yu-Yake last Friday and it has become my favorite ink for my daily writer-a Baoer 517 in dark orange with black tiger stripes-this combo just makes me smile.

Your description makes ME smile 🙂

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Christine wrote:</div>
    ?

Also a very pretty color, and I have a bottle of that. I did a Goulet sample of it and loved the color… haven’t cracked open the bottle yet due to ooh…shiny! distraction with that J.Herbin ink. :)

Autumn Oak is also similar, but a bit darker in hue… where Apache goes yellow to orange, Autumn goes orange to browns.

If you’re looking for a brilliant turquoise blue – Private Reserve’s Naples Blue. Do it. Just… don’t argue. :)

You make me want to drink the ink 🙂 Delicious descriptions.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

I second the love for Diamine Ancient Copper; I bought the small bottle, but at the rate I’m going I’ll be purchasing the larger size before long (in ink-usage terms). I’ve also been using DeAtramentis Jane Austen often this MoL. I ordered it when it was on sale even though I thought it was kind of a meh green, because Jane Austen, but I find that it matches or coordinates well with colors in a surprising number of the notecards I have on hand, and it’s been growing on me with each card or letter I write.

My usual black is Noodler’s The Heart of Darkness (the large eye-dropper bottle’s included free pen was my introduction to the Platinum Preppy), and I also use Platinum Carbon Black — the desk pen is great for sketching. I too love Black Swan in English Roses, though I wish it dried a bit faster. For my blue I’ve been using Noodler’s Kung Te-Cheng.

Last year my favorites were the Noodler’s mentioned above, Diamine Merlot, and DeAtramentis Aubergine, which I can’t stop myself from pronouncing Auberzheeeeeeeeeen.

One thing that makes me sad is that my natural handwriting is quite small, so I don’t get the full benefit of the beautiful shading many of my favorite colors display.

Auberzheeeeeem! Love it 🙂
    Jane Austen ink. Brilliant.
    So many scribes using Ancient Copper and Black Swan in English Roses. The names are stellar.
    I find myself writing larger with fresh ink! Also wishing for a medium nib now.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Shaken, not stirred: Uncorked my bottle of J. Herbin 1670 Anniversary Ink (Stormy Grey) this weekend. All the lovely gold bits had settled to the bottom, naturally, so today I’ll find out how often that beautiful bottle needs shaking to keep the flecks of gold flowing with the deep coal grey. Feeling very cosmopolitan. 😉

J. Herbin anniversary ink, courtesy www.jetpens.com

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.