Stationary Poll

This topic contains 31 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Zhulie Zhulie 1 year, 4 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Zhulie
    Zhulie
    Participant

Hello,
    I’m taking a poll. Where/what is your go-to place for your paper and envelopes? Do you create your own? By hand or computer? Do you always get your supplies at a great Stationary store around the corner? Online? Do you go to a stationary “show” annually and stock up for the year? or perhaps you have a best friend with an online story who keeps you stocked up. 🙂 I’d love to know how everybody is getting their supplies these days.

Also, is this the only challenge you do for letter writing? What other letter/mail-art/postal challenges have you done beside lettermo? What kind of challenges do you wish were out there?

—Nina,
    Ink Quills and Spills™ |

"Not knowing when the dawn will come, I open every door" ~Emily Dickinson

Profile photo of Jenny Ray
    Jenny Ray
    Participant

Nina, I work at Michael’s Arts and Crafts Store! So I am daily bombarded with beautiful notecard sets, as well as papers in a million colors and textures to make my own envelopes/mail art. Stickers, rubber stamps, pens, washi tape, it’s all there. If I manage to make it out of work without stopping at the checkout first, our store has a Ross to the left side (gorgeous notecards by Paperwick press and Pooch and Sweetheart designs) and a Marshall’s to the right side (even more notecard options). Sometimes I find myself at a Barnes and Noble Booksellers, and they have the most gorgeous stationery sets.

I could write 10 letters every single day for a year and not run out of stationery. 🙂

Find me on Postable: https://www.postable.com/jennyray

Profile photo of Zhulie
      Zhulie
      Participant

That is amazing! How wonderful. I would leave my paycheck with my employer if it were me. 🙂 I find myself making my own stationary for now. Although I do have a Hobby Lobby by me and have picked up specialty papers to make Tuck-ins with etc.

—Nina,
      Ink Quills and Spills™ |

Profile photo of Pat Hayes
    Pat Hayes
    Participant

I am homebound right now, so I get my stationary from an internet store. I like simple stationary that leaves the most room for writing. For a long time, I mostly got my paper from Paper Source, but recently, I decided that I wanted lighter weight paper that is fountain pen friendly. I also wanted a color that worked well with my favorite colors of ink I found what I was looking for, and so every letter I write is on Via Smooth Light Pink Paper. One color of paper, and lots of colors of ink!

Profile photo of Zhulie
    Zhulie
    Participant

Hi Pat, there is a Paper Source about an hour from me. I will eventually stop in there when I am in the neighborhood. They have some things online but I like the feel of paper, etc. Ironically, I called them a few weeks ago to see if they had a specific sealing wax they mentioned on their youtube channel. The person I spoke to had no idea what I was talking about. I don’t really blame her though. I’m sure they don’t watch their own youtube channel. LOL and it’s an international item anyway. —Your pink paper sounds nice! 🙂

—Nina,
    Ink Quills and Spills™ |

Profile photo of Ilenia
    Ilenia
    Participant

I was using cream colour paper that I had bought to make conceptual maps on, and some envelopes that I have found in my room, don’t remember why those were there, than I returned home at my parents, and searching I’ve found some presents from some relatives dating back years ago that were writing letters kit, with decorated paper and matching envelopes; and some pack of white envelopes, a bloc of recycled paper and a colourful diary that’s falling at pieces of which I can still use the pages. I don’t like buy other paper if I still have paper to use.

I'm sorry! I promise I'll answer everyone that have written me! I just need a bit of time!

Profile photo of Zhulie
      Zhulie
      Participant

Ilenia, don’t you just love it when you come across things you can repurpose?! I’m addicted to that feeling. I do it with a lot of things, not just paper. I enjoy giving things a second and third life with creativity. Just today I got bundle of origami paper, stickers and other things from someone just wanting to get rid of it. I got it from Freecycle.com. (in case anyone is interested in receiving/giving things out for free)

I actually might have some downloadable stationary for you all. I’m working on finalizing some designs. I want to encourage letter writing. 🙂

—Nina,
      Ink Quills and Spills™ |

Profile photo of Ilenia
    Ilenia
    Participant

Well, yeah, I’ve saved last year calendar and told me “let’s see if I can do some envelopes with this!”
    Maybe it’s time to see what the postoffice accept other then the plain white envelopes written on the rules!

I'm sorry! I promise I'll answer everyone that have written me! I just need a bit of time!

Profile photo of Zhulie
    Zhulie
    Participant

I understand. Last month I sent out envelopes made from magazine pages! I have received replies, so I know they are getting through. I think the trick is to go out of the way to make the recipients address very bold and legible. I still have some of those envelopes that I will use during the challenge. BUT the pages I used were those next to the FRAGRANCE sample pages of the magazine, so the envelopes were quite fragrant— which I did NOT want. So if any of you get fragrant mail from me, know that it was unintentional! LOl, 🙂

—Nina,
    Ink Quills and Spills™ |

Profile photo of Sarah
    Sarah
    Participant

My town has a couple discount/dollar stores that often get seconds, old patterns of nice (to me, not Barnes & Noble, but maybe Hobby Lobby level) quality items, so I scoop up a few when I see ones I like. My mom and grandmother are both homebound, so sometimes I bring it home and they put it away to use as gifts for me. Stationary/cards are like my one great weakness/splurge thing, but I try to stay in budget-haha! I also like getting cards from http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/ at times to find just the right card for the right person. I’ve also printed my own paper off the computer and made envelopes from calendars.

I love writing letters to my family and friends, I blog about it at: http://scribblingsarah.blogspot.com

Profile photo of Zhulie
      Zhulie
      Participant

Thank you Sarah. I’m sure your mom and grandmother appreciate it. Do you pay for your cards from greetingcardsiuniverse ?

—Nina,
      Ink Quills and Spills™ |

Profile photo of Sarah
    Sarah
    Participant

Yes, I pay for the grettingcarduniverse cards. Normally I don’t mind someone buying me stationary, but a card for a specific person seems kind of like a gift and odd for others to pay for-haha!

I love writing letters to my family and friends, I blog about it at: http://scribblingsarah.blogspot.com

Profile photo of Neil
    Neil
    Participant

I got so annoyed trying to find commercial writing paper that wasn’t expensive, floral, plain or aimed at kids, I decided to make my own. That was five years ago and led me to set up my own Etsy shop: The Smiling Monkey Shop (Web Address at the bottom). I don’t think this is the place to say how wonderful and amazing my Stationery Sets are, but I would heartily recommend using Etsy to anyone.

There are thousands of brilliant shops selling writing paper with all different unique designs on Etsy.com and best of all you know they’re made with care and attention by dedicated individuals, rather than churned out by faceless organisations. Buying small makes such a big difference to small retailers.

Plus…at my shop there are smiling monkeys! 🙂

www.etsy.com/uk/shop/TheSmilingMonkeyShop - Quality handmade Stationery Sets to suit every taste.

Profile photo of Zhulie
      Zhulie
      Participant

Yes, I think many of us have taken to making our own. And who doesn’t like monkeys?! 🙂
      Creating your own means you call the shots. You get to decide the size, color, and design.
      As mentioned before I have designed some and will make them available. My goal was to have
      them to you all 2 weeks before the challenge. Let’s hope my day goes well so I can do that.
      In the meantime, Keep Scribbling! 🙂

—Nina,
      Ink Quills and Spills™ |

Profile photo of Denise
    Denise

I love Etsy. Too much, even. 😉 I’ll check out your shop.

If you'd like to hear from me, please enter your contact information in my postable:

https://www.postable.com/deniseboyd

Profile photo of Zhulie
    Zhulie
    Participant

OK the Stationary downloads are ready! Hopefully something for all tastes. URL is in my profile. Print them out and start scribbling! Here’s to a great 2016 Challenge!

—Nina,
    Ink Quills and Spills™ |

Profile photo of Ilenia
    Ilenia
    Participant

Where in your profile? I was searching and didn’t find anything!

Profile photo of Zhulie
      Zhulie
      Participant

‘Friend’ me and you’ll see the url. Let me know what you think. Enjoy them. 🙂

—Nina,
      Ink Quills and Spills™ |

Profile photo of Elizabeth
        Elizabeth
        Participant

Hi Nina! I’ve befriended you so I can have a look… Thanks! I love any/all stationery. Always on the lookout for something different. Good to recycle – like writing on the inside of paper bags!! and using old greetings cards to write on the back of the picture, small notebooks to write letters whilst on days out… Really I have too much stationery, so need to write lots to get rid of it!! Really my rule is not to acquire any more yet, but…!!! I decorate my own a lot – now make envelopes from interesting paper.

Elizabeth.
        On the English coast.
        Hoping to hear from creatively inclined people UK and Europe. See profile for other interests...

Profile photo of Denise
    Denise

OK the Stationary downloads are ready! Hopefully something for all tastes. URL is in my profile. Print them out and start scribbling! Here’s to a great 2016 Challenge!

Awww, love the site and the downloads in particular. You’re talented. 🙂

If you'd like to hear from me, please enter your contact information in my postable:

Profile photo of Zhulie
      Zhulie
      Participant

Thank you Denise. The downloads are all PDFs. All that’s needed is Acrobat Reader, which is a free reader. And a printer. I designed them with ink cartridges in mind. They don’t have a lot of color so you can add that yourself with light colored papers or perhaps some colored pencils. Or use them as is! 🙂 The point is that I designed them so you can add the color and paper you prefer.

—Nina,
      Ink Quills and Spills™ |

Profile photo of Denise
    Denise

Nina, I love that you did them that way as it allows for some individuality. Good going! I recently got a new printer but haven’t set it up yet. When I do, I’ll grab some of those. Thank you for sharing with us.

Profile photo of Ilenia
    Ilenia
    Participant

I was sure to have clicked that button when I asked that! I finally was able to watch them from the computer, the stationary design are wonderful! Thank you to have done that!

Profile photo of Zhulie
    Zhulie
    Participant

Nina, I love that you did them that way as it allows for some individuality. Good going! I recently got a new printer but haven’t set it up yet. When I do, I’ll grab some of those. Thank you for sharing with us.

You are very welcome. I hope it helps motivate for the 2016 challenge =)

—Nina,
    Ink Quills and Spills™ |

Profile photo of Zhulie
    Zhulie
    Participant

Hi Nina! I’ve befriended you so I can have a look… Thanks! I love any/all stationery. Always on the lookout for something different. Good to recycle – like writing on the inside of paper bags!! and using old greetings cards to write on the back of the picture, small notebooks to write letters whilst on days out… Really I have too much stationery, so need to write lots to get rid of it!! Really my rule is not to acquire any more yet, but…!!! I decorate my own a lot – now make envelopes from interesting paper.

—Nina,
    Ink Quills and Spills™ |

Profile photo of Zhulie
    Zhulie
    Participant

Apparently using my phone to navifate this site is not working. I have to use my desktop. Oy. Elizabeth, I 2nd you on the paper bag. I reuse them to make envelopes. I really enjoy making my own envelopes interesting. It adds to that wonderful feeling at the letterbox! 🙂

—Nina,
    Ink Quills and Spills™ |

Profile photo of Elizabeth
      Elizabeth
      Participant

Oh WOW Nina! Just looked at your site – amazing. I’ve printed out the writing desk stationery – as so appropriate for Lettermo – I’m trying to keep to a theme for this – postal/letters… Thank you 🙂

Also, to say I’ve just discovered second hand first day covers on Ebay – decorative envelopes which one can reuse – or some not used… hoping some are cheap enough… I love any sort of decorative envelopes! I make them out of whatever: magazines, wallpaper etc.

Elizabeth.
      On the English coast.
      Hoping to hear from creatively inclined people UK and Europe. See profile for other interests...

Profile photo of Zhulie
    Zhulie
    Participant

Oh WOW Nina! Just looked at your site – amazing. I’ve printed out the writing desk stationery – as so appropriate for Lettermo – I’m trying to keep to a theme for this – postal/letters… Thank you :)

Also, to say I’ve just discovered second hand first day covers on Ebay – decorative envelopes which one can reuse – or some not used… hoping some are cheap enough… I love any sort of decorative envelopes! I make them out of whatever: magazines, wallpaper etc.

Yes, that is the “Writing” stationary set that includes a matching envelope. I love the quote from Paulo Coelho on that one. =) Using one type of stationary for the challenge is definitely a way to go to keep things simple. Why can’t I be more simple!? =)

—Nina,
    Ink Quills and Spills™ |

Profile photo of Oriole Harris
    Oriole Harris
    Participant

I posted earlier and Nina was kind enough to reply with this link. I have to say I too use to buy a lot of paper from Paper Chase but they seem more into other things now. I also remember buying “paper by the Pound” at the hobby store. In fact my Michael’s was the first place I went and other than some special buy note cards with gold foil dots they didn’t have anything and forget nibs. It may just be my store, not in Nashville proper so small store. I managed to find some nicer notes at Tuesday Morning and when I can drive again I will try the Hobby Lobby and Marshall’s, but I think that will be it for my area. I have ordered some things online but most are plain white stationery.
    I can only assume paper will get even more expensive in the near future.

Oriole Harris
    www.postable.com/orioleadamsharris

Profile photo of Zhulie
    Zhulie
    Participant

I posted earlier and Nina was kind enough to reply with this link. I have to say I too use to buy a lot of paper from Paper Chase but they seem more into other things now. I also remember buying “paper by the Pound” at the hobby store. In fact my Michael’s was the first place I went and other than some special buy note cards with gold foil dots they didn’t have anything and forget nibs. It may just be my store, not in Nashville proper so small store. I managed to find some nicer notes at Tuesday Morning and when I can drive again I will try the Hobby Lobby and Marshall’s, but I think that will be it for my area. I have ordered some things online but most are plain white stationery.
    I can only assume paper will get even more expensive in the near future.

@oh17 Oriole, yes it seems that way. Many folks are turning to their own devices. Maybe our love of letters will help change that. I did hear from some members that Pinterest has some free downloads? You may want to try there if you have a printer at home. You are welcome to free stationary downloads I have as well.—Oh by the way, I was at Staples recently and was very surprised to see they have a much larger stationary section than Hobby Lobby. I didn’t look through what they had but I did notice there was three times more selection. =)

—Nina,
    Ink Quills and Spills™ |

Profile photo of Oriole Harris
    Oriole Harris
    Participant

I think suitable paper is more a problem. I ended up buying online. You can get very good quality still if you have a $$$ to spend. Although I am tempted by the deckle edge paper at Papyrus which is reasonable at $18. They do have a nice collection.
    As far as printing my own designs, I could do that but it changes the texture of the paper. I also like half sheets, and those seem to be harder to find. I guess everyone just assumes you will be printing your letters.
    I did see a book suggestion for making your own paper which I have ordered. I also had a book on that. At least I could use hand made paper for the outside of a card and use plain paper on the inside.

Oriole Harris
    www.postable.com/orioleadamsharris

Profile photo of Zhulie
    Zhulie
    Participant

@oh17 Oriole, I prefer half sheets as well. Nearly all the downloadable stationery I design are half sheets. The designs don’t take up the whole page so the texture shouldn’t be drastically affected. but I feel for all the different stationery in the world there are different preferences too. 🙂 With all the knowledgeable and savvy members here I have learned there is little shortage in the way of supplies. They all find a solution somehow. Keep clicking around, there are great ideas in every forum. 🙂 Happy Lettermo!

—Nina,
    Ink Quills and Spills™ |

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.