The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

About the Challenge Forums Mail Talk 2018 The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

This topic contains 7 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Jean 9 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

Jackie Parkins
    Participant

If you haven’t read this book, I highly recommend it. There’s a movie coming out in England in April and hopefully, it will make its way over here soon. I would love to see it. Here’s a first look at the movie.

The Guernsey Literary And Potato Peel Pie Society

My Postable - https://www.postable.com/jackieparkins

Anonymous

I enjoyed the book too Jackie. Hope the movie can do it justice.

Erin
    Participant

I love the book and didn’t know about the upcoming movie.

https://www.postable.com/erinotis

Diane
    Participant

Thanks for the heads up on the movie. I remember loving the book when I read it some time ago, but now that I’ve seen the movie trailer I want to read it again!

Kris
    Participant

I have read it a couple of times. It is one of my favorites.

Elizabeth
    Participant

What’s it about??

Elizabeth, on the South coast of England.
    Welcome creative letter writers from UK and Europe.
    Mail Art? Paper stationery swap?

bardbooks

Wonderful “letters” format story!

From Goodreads:
      January 1946: London is emerging from the shadow of the Second World War, and writer Juliet Ashton is looking for her next book subject. Who could imagine that she would find it in a letter from a man she’s never met, a native of the island of Guernsey, who has come across her name written inside a book by Charles Lamb….

As Juliet and her new correspondent exchange letters, Juliet is drawn into the world of this man and his friends—and what a wonderfully eccentric world it is. The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society—born as a spur-of-the-moment alibi when its members were discovered breaking curfew by the Germans occupying their island—boasts a charming, funny, deeply human cast of characters, from pig farmers to phrenologists, literature lovers all.

Juliet begins a remarkable correspondence with the society’s members, learning about their island, their taste in books, and the impact the recent German occupation has had on their lives. Captivated by their stories, she sets sail for Guernsey, and what she finds will change her forever.

Written with warmth and humor as a series of letters, this novel is a celebration of the written word in all its guises, and of finding connection in the most surprising ways. (less)

Jean
    Participant

I totally enjoyed this book. I’m not sure how I feel about it being made into a movies — so often movies stray so far from the book that they are hardly reflect it at all.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

In February, mail one item through the post every day it runs. #lettermo Sign up to find Lettermo Penpals!

Skip to toolbar