Writing to Jane?

About the Challenge Forums Month of Letters 2014 Writing to Jane?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of EAJ3 EAJ3 3 years, 7 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Kassie Jennings
    Kassie Jennings
    Participant

I wrote about this when I filled out my first “what did you mail today” form, but with that tab currently hidden from view on the profile page, I don’t think anyone saw it. I would LOVE to write to Jane, but I’m nervous. Not having much experience with letter writing in the Regency and not having created a Jane Austen spell-check dictionary myself, I’m afraid that my style will be all wrong or that I’ll use words Jane wouldn’t know. And then there’s the problem of figuring out WHY I’m writing to Jane. This probably seems silly, but I keep thinking I know all kinds of things about her but Jane doesn’t know me at all so what excuse do I have to be writing to her? Any advice/suggestions?

Profile photo of Jenny Ray
    Jenny Ray
    Participant

Are you meaning the Jane Austen achievement badge? I don’t think it has to be to Jane herself- I earned it last year by writing on parchment with a dip pen and bottle of ink. I wrote to Mea Clift in a first person character I made up based on the history and events of my area during the Regency era.

Would you like me to write to you tomorrow in that style and you can answer in similar? Then we both earn the Austen badge! I’m sure the idea is just to have fun with it and explore a method of writing a letter that we don’t do much any more. Let me know if I should break out the sealing wax and ink bottle! 🙂

Find me on Postable: https://www.postable.com/jennyray

Profile photo of Kassie Jennings
      Kassie Jennings
      Participant

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I was referring to Mary’s invitation to write a letter to (and receive a reply from) the character Jane from her Glamourist Histories series. The “Jane Austen spell-check dictionary” was a reference to one of the things Mary did as part of her research for the first book (Shades of Milk and Honey).

Profile photo of Jenny Ray
    Jenny Ray
    Participant

Oh! Somehow I missed that post completely! Lol!

Find me on Postable: https://www.postable.com/jennyray

Profile photo of Mea Clift
    Mea Clift
    Participant

I find that when I’m writing in the Regency Style, its not as difficult as you might think. There are lots of original letters out there you can reference as well. Plus, I don’t think anyone will knock you for your attempt. 🙂

Add yourself to my postable for letters from me! https://www.postable.com/meaclift

Profile photo of Meg Winikates
    Meg Winikates
    Participant

I’m definitely planning on writing to Lady Vincent (can’t imagine writing to her husband without an introduction, how improper!). As for figuring out *why* one would be writing–perhaps you wish to hire her and her husband? Perhaps you have a mutual acquaintance and would like to presume on your friend’s friendship in order to invite her to some sort of social occasion? Maybe you’re just a fan of the work that the Vincents have done for the Prince Regent or on behalf of the coldmongers (art enthusiast or activist, a pair of fun choices!).

Profile photo of Meg Winikates
    Meg Winikates
    Participant

Posted my letter to Lady Vincent today! Looking forward to her response. 😀

Profile photo of EAJ3
    EAJ3
    Participant

My letter to Jane last year was written as if we shared a long-standing friendship but didn’t get to see each other often (a bit of presumption on my part). I’d just been to an exhibit which included works by Rembrandt and Constable created before the (19th-century) date of my letter, so I wrote about those from the point of view of an amateur artist (which is pretty much what I am). I felt like I needed to reread the books before writing again but haven’t had a chance to, so I’ll probably skip this year. (Definitely need to reread before book 4 comes out in April, though!)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.