Getting Ready for LetterMo 2024

Home Forums General Getting Ready for LetterMo 2024

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Rhonda Waechter
      Participant

Hello everyone 🙂 I’m new here and excited for my first LetterMo in 2024. I feel a little more comfortable here after fumbling around for a little bit 🙂
        I’m getting ready and have downloaded the resources I found here. What does everyone do to prepare for a successful LetterMo? I’ve already got stationery, inks, stamps, etc. so I feel I’m ready as far as needing supplies — yet, does one really ever have enough?? lol Are you ready? Do you make anything special for the month? I’m debating over whether to let the month happen organically or if I should have the full month of letter-writing pre-planned and then add replies to my plan as the month evolves based on mail coming in. Perhaps I am overthinking the whole thing! lol

Caitlin
        Keymaster

Hi Rhonda! Welcome to your first LetterMo! You’ve already posted in the Introductions forum, where you can introduce yourself and read about other users. https://lettermo.com/forums/topic/introductions/ I use this space to read about users who are active in this year’s challenge, find users with similar interests, and click on their profile to add them as a friend. The site currently has over 800 users, but not everyone will be active in the February 2024 challenge. More posts will trickle in in mid-end of January (and even into February).

As far as calendaring/scheduling your writes, what would make this most enjoyable for you? Sometimes I don’t get mail from LetterMo folks until mid-February and might need filler sends. 🙂 Do you participate in any other writing sites, like PostCrossing, where you send 1 postcard and get a postcard? I tend to count that as my “send” for the day. Also sends to family and friends, who might not be on the LetterMo site. There will also be special days, such as Feb 4, Thank a Mail Carrier Day.

Rhonda Waechter
            Participant

Thank you, Caitlin. I do belong to Postcrossing too and am saving spots for February. I will also look into special days 🙂 I was worried, but I’m filling up my calendar with people to send happy mail too. It’s not as hard as I thought! lol I might even have to double up some days. This site is coming alive for me which is great and I’m sure that improves with time. Thank you for responding.

Michele Risner
            Participant

Hi Rhonda! What works for me, is making a list of people with birthdays in February. The first few days of the month I devote to sending those out as well as Tank you notes; sympathy cards, etc (they all count); then replies I owe to letters I received prior to February. As letters start to come in, I put the date they were received on the envelope so I can reply in the order they were received. Personally I always try to write as much as was written to me.

Rhonda Waechter
                Participant

Hi Michele, thank you for replying to my questions. I really like the idea of birthday list. I will add those to my calendar and will look to birthdays in first week of March as well. I am expecting letters in January so if I get behind I’ll be able add them to my LetterMo month as well. I do that too! date letters as they come in 🙂 I like keeping everything straight, and like you, I respond to first in, first. I do like your motto of writing as much as was written to you – it seems a fair way to allocate time.

Mike Schumacher
                Participant

Hi Rhonda! Some great advice has been given already but I have a couple of other thoughts.

First – claim a writing space as your own for February, ideally where you can have everything set up and ready to go within reach. There aren’t too many things that will kill momentum more than having to clear a space each day to write.

Second – consider how much time you can spend on writing each day. That will influence if you can write letters each day or if you need to add postcards or other cards to your mix. The first few times I tried this I burnt out by the start of the last week in February because I was writing for too long after work and fall behind with errands/chores, or would get too far behind to meet the goal. Once I realized I could write about an hour a day I focused on short letters and postcards during the week, and saved the longer letters for weekends and holidays when the mail service wasn’t running.

Michele Risner
                    Participant

Hi Mike….That is a great idea about claiming a space as your own! The last 3 years I did this, we were snowbirds in our camper, so I had to get my writing materials out every day, and then put them away when I was done, and I found it really did kill that momentum. I’m home this year with a dedicated writing space, so now I just have to keep my brain focused for an hour (minimum) a day!

MizLit
                    Participant

To add to the great suggestions… I pre-plan who I am writing to each day. The first two weeks focus on thank you notes/birthdays/fond remembrances. I’ve sent notes to family and friends who are not regular letter writers as well as writing thank you notes to the professional folks I interact with regularly that make my life better like my doctor, chiropractor, hair stylist, and work colleagues, as well as community members who I value, such as our local fire department, librarians, and teachers.

Michele Risner
                        Participant

I have some Valentine cards ready to address, and as I mentioned above, need to check my list of birthdays for the month. Thanks for the feedback!

Viewing 4 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.