Help! – Source for Unused Vintage Postcards?

About the Challenge Forums Mail Talk 2018 Help! – Source for Unused Vintage Postcards?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  JJ 8 months ago.

• Author

fly
    Participant

So, question. I’m getting married and I had a cool idea for the RSVP cards that involves using vintage postcards, but when I google for sources, I come up with ridiculous prices. I can’t afford $5 each for a postcard. Does anybody know where online to get such a thing in quantity?

Alternately, I’m in middle TN, so if anyone has suggestions where I could go look, I’d be up for a shopping trip.

Figured if anyone had a suggestion, it’d be you guys.

Last year started with a goal of 2017 postcards and by the end of the year I was just glad to be alive. Let's make this a better mail year, shall we?

MML - PO Box 110657 - Nashville, TN 37222

bardbooks

Great idea!

I search eBay for large lots of vintage postcards, unused. You’ll see plenty of auctions and some that may fall within your budget. If every RSVP postcard can be different, then Bob’s yer uncle.

Secondhand shops and large antique malls with lots of booths sometimes have large lots of postcards, and you can explore local auctions, too.

It’s great to put vintage stationery back into action, but if you want a particular theme or subject for your postcards, there’s always the option to upload an old postcard illustration (no copyright infringement) on a printing site such as Vistaprint and create exactly what you want. That gives you the option to splurge on ONE lovely vintage postcard. Stick with matte paper, heavier stock, and you’ll get a nice look and feel.

Good luck! Let me know what you find and how it works out.

fly
      Participant

Ebay seems out of my price range. If I want specific locations (like Nebraska or Ohio, where we’re from), they’re $5 each. The bulk ones are mixed unused/used. I will keep looking because I have months, it’s just frustrating. Weddings on a budget are hard.

Last year started with a goal of 2017 postcards and by the end of the year I was just glad to be alive. Let's make this a better mail year, shall we?

IndigoAngel
    Participant

ebay would have been one of my suggestions too

also abebooks.com sell books and cards online, often hard to find out of print items
    i’ve bought a few out of print postcard books via abebooks
    there are often free postage within usa options available too

bookdepository.com also has postcard books with free delivery world wide

there are some postcard books with vintage reprints or perhaps valentine’s postcards will work – a postcard book has 30 postcards & can cost around $us10

2 of my favourites are victorian valentines and sweet hearts, also a older victorian styles

i searched for “ohio vintage postcard book” and the results looks to be books about postcards of ohio

nebraska is a little better
    state fair – 15 p/c for $7.92
    https://www.bookdepository.com/The-Nebraska-State-Fair-Mary-L-Maas/9780738582771?ref=grid-view&qid=1518479574415&sr=1-1

cowboy line also under $8
    https://www.bookdepository.com/Nebraskas-Cowboy-Rail-Line-Keith-Terry/9780738577098?ref=grid-view&qid=1518479694423&sr=1-2

and lower on the page they show other postcards it the series

only warning is to carefully read the descrptions – and maybe ask the supplier before you commit to buy – some are books about postcards, not books *of* postcards to send

happy searching

๐Ÿ˜‰

essentials of life - love & laughter, good books & coffee, and chocolate & snail mail

fly
      Participant

Thanks

UBockinMe
    Participant

Hey Fly,
    You ever thought about having special ones printed? You could have a cool Vintage pic, have all the RSVP & Dinner items listed as checkboxes on the back along with your return address!!! Check This Out

Looks like they’ve got pretty good prices!
    Congrats on the Wedding BTW!

JJ
    Participant

Hi,

The Nashville Philatelic Society meets twice a month.
    Whenever I’ve been to a stamp show there are usually postcards also or at least the stamp folks will know about the postcard fanciers. They’re usually super friendly in every city I’ve visited, I would give them a try.

Try finding out if there is a group of postcard collectors anywhere near you. I live in Portland, Oregon and we have a group called Webfooters, http://www.thewebfooters.com/
    At their get togethers there are hundreds of thousands of postcards at all values, plenty for cheap!

Good luck!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

In February, mail one item through the post every day it runs. #lettermo Sign up to find Lettermo Penpals!

Skip to toolbar